Despite the fact that contact lenses come with multiple warnings, you still see people doing weird things with their lenses. It makes you wonder why they do those things when, clearly, they should not. If you have had some warnings about the care and use of your contacts, then you already know. If not, the following will shed additional light on bad lense habits and why you should not do those things to or with your lenses.
Moisten Your Lenses with Your Own Saliva
Unless you have been challenged to lick your own eyeball and decide that the most clever answer is to put your lenses in your mouth and then back in your eyes, do not do this. There are thousands of micro-organisms and bacteria in your mouth, and while they are good for digestion, they are not good for contacts. The bacteria left on your contacts begins to grow. With the added moisture that your tears create for your eyes, your eyes and your lenses become a veritable Petri dish for creating a colony of nasty, infection-causing bacteria and cell growths. If you experience one or more eye infections in a year and you do this to your lenses, stop.
Drop Your Lenses in a Water Cup
In a pinch, water in a glass is still better than leaving your lenses in the open on the sink. Just be forewarned that tap water contains chemicals that should not go in your eyes. This includes the chlorine that water treatment plants use to purify water, as well as lime and rust. Because your eyes are a porous organ, they absorb the stuff from the water. If you did this every night for a year, that builds up in your eyes and could cause heath problems with your vision. Water in a cup should be an emergency-only solution to a lack of a lens case and contact lens solution.
Touch Your Eyes with Your Solution Bottle Tips
Contact lens solutions are sterile solutions placed in sterile bottles. This means that they are safe to use and, when used as directed, will never cause eye infections. Too many lens wearers ignore the instruction not to touch their eyes with the tips of lens wetting solution and saline solution. The minute that bottle tip touches your eyes, the bacteria that are gathering on your lenses are transferred to the bottle tip, and then to the solution inside. The bottle tip and the solution can no longer be considered sterile. Ergo, do not be surprised if you get frequent eye infections from this as well.
For more information, visit sites like http://www.the-eye-center.com.