Signs Of A Varicocele And What Your Urologist Can Do About It

Men often assume that any testicular pain they experience means that they have testicular cancer. In reality, however, testicular cancer is only one of many possible causes of testicular pain. There are various other causes, one of which is called a varicocele. A varicocele is essentially a varicose vein in your scrotum. One of the vein's walls bulges out, blood gets trapped in the bulge, and pain is the result. Keep reading, and you'll learn about the signs of a varicocele and what a urologist can do about this ailment.

Signs of a Varicocele

Some men experience all of these signs, and others only experience one or a few of these signs.

  • A dull, aching pain, usually centered towards one side of the scrotum
  • A mass or lump in the scrotum that seems to move around when you press on it
  • One testicle feels larger than the other
  • Throbbing in your testes after ejaculating, eating spicy foods, or exercising intensely

If you notice any of the following signs or symptoms of a varicocele, you should make an appointment with a urologist. Or, see your general physician; there's a good chance they'll refer you to a urologist.

Treatments for Varicocele

Many small varicoceles do not require specific treatment. Your urologist may simply recommend icing the area when you feel pain, avoiding exercise that irritates your scrotum, and not eating spicy foods.

If the varicocele still causes you pain when you take these steps, then your urologist may recommend surgical treatment to seal off the affected vein. This surgery can usually be done through a tiny incision. A special instrument will be inserted through an incision in your groin. This instrument will seal off the affected vein so that blood no longer flows into it. That vein will then die off, and your body will absorb the dead tissues. The other veins will still carry blood out of the testes and make up for that damaged, removed vein. 

Depending on the vein that is affected, your urologist may instead need to address the varicocele through a larger incision in your scrotum. This is a more invasive surgery, but it will give you relief.

If you think you might have a varicocele, reach out to a urologist. They can run some tests to rule out more serious problems like testicular cancer, and if needed, perform a procedure that removes the affected vein and relieves your pain. 

Contact a company like Nashville Healthcare Center for more info.